Sunday, April 5, 2009

To my own Belinda

You wore that lacey purple blouse one rainy afternoon
you came through the crowd and passed through me
you were beautiful but your eyes were remarkably sad
you know that I did not come to stay with you

And when the crickets started to chirp,
you talked with them and laughed carelessly
and I thought that you could be happy
at least try even without me
i smiled and broke a tear off my eyes

If I could reach up and hold a star for everytime you made me smile,
I would have the whole night sky in the palm of my hand
but if in every tear I shed for you, a star would die,
I'd always go home empty-handed.
And i did.

Is there any way of loving that would make parting no sorrow at all?
I cling to my sorrow that you are not here,
I'll send up my cloud to catch sunshine
it is a kite that I pull with my heart strings.

That cloud I saw away to the right is coming this way toward me.
I can see the shadow of it now moving along a far-off strip of road
and I wonder if it is your cloud,
with you under it coming to see me again..

No comments: